Thursday, June 01, 2006

Darfur Vigil Day #18, May 31: Lonely battle

On the streets of DC; still on special assignment away from the White House Darfur Vigil for a few more days

For reasons of heightened effectiveness I wish I were not fighting alone. Among radically committed fellows I could be more sure, faster, more effective.

But as I struggle to comprehend this battle to Rescue and Restore Darfur and what I am called to contribute at this juncture - RADICAL BROTHERHOOD STANDING "WITH" DARFUR NO MATTER THE COST - I am at peace that I am doing what I am called to do, as best as I can. If others, or enough others, were contributing this piece right now, I wouldn't be alone, but my attempts wouldn't be as needed either.

No one else thinks my attempts are needed?!?!!?!?!? :-) Yes, with just a few exceptions, I am sure this is QUITE the perception!

At times like this one might find appropriate comfort in the words of Deitrich Bonhoeffer:

“Who stands fast? Only the man whose final standard is not his reason, his principles, his conscience, his freedom, or his virtue, but who is ready to sacrifice all this when he is called to obedient and responsible action in faith and in exclusive allegiance to God – the responsible man, who tries to make his whole life an answer to the question and call of God.”

If only the fate of 2,000,000 of our Darfur family were at stake, this crazy (futile?) attempt on my part would be acceptable. But MUCH MORE IS AT AT STAKE. THIS IS A PIVOTAL OPPORTUNITY FOR THE US, AND FOR MANKIND.

No comments: